Navigation auf


Faculty of Business, Economics and Informatics

FAQ Outgoing


1 General questions

1.1 How many times may I participate in an exchange?

Under a faculty-wide agreement, students are generally only allowed to participate in an exchange once. If you participate a second time, students applying for the first time will be prioritised. Under the SEMP agreements, it is possible to participate in an exchange stay of up to 12 months at any level of study (bachelor's, master's, doctoral).

1.2 What types of agreements are in place?

For student exchange, the following types of agreements exist:

  • University-wide agreements (GU)
  • Faculty-wide agreements (FA), (incl. existing department-wide agreements)
  • Swiss European Mobility Program (SEMP) within Europe
  • IS:link (only for Informatics students)
  • Mobility within Switzerland

A detailed description of all agreement types can be found here.

1.3 I have not yet successfully completed the assessment stage respectively I have still to fulfill the additional requirements for my Master’s program. May I start an exchange semester?

No, at the start of the exchange semester, the assessment stage must be completed entirely and all additional requirements must be fulfilled at the master's level.

1.4 I have already achieved all ECTS points for my degree but would still like to do an exchange. Is that possible?

No, you can only take part in an exchange if you still need to collect ECTS points for your degree.

1.5 I would like to write my Bachelor/Master thesis during the exchange semester. Is this possible?

In principle, yes. However, as an exchange student it is required that you also attend courses. If you plan to write only your Bachelor's or Master's thesis, then you will have to be reclassified as an intern. All requirements for the SEMP internship can be found under the following link. It is mandatory that the thesis is supervised by a faculty member of the UZH Faculty of Business, Economics and Informatics.

1.6 Can I get credits for a summer/winter school?

Academic short programs (Summer- and Winter Schools) are not part of the regular mobility offer (mobility semester at a host university). In principle, a maximum of two academic short programs can be transferred to the free elective area. In addition, in individual cases it is also possible to transfer an academic short program to a core elective program. For academic short programs, prior clarification of credit transfer is mandatory. Further information on the procedure can be found here.

2 Questions about planning the exchange semester

2.1 What do I have to consider when planning my exchange semester?

The most important thing is to start planning well in advance. At the start of the exchange semester, you must already have successfully completed the assessment stage respectively have fulfilled all the additional requirements at MA level. At Bachelor level, the 5th semester is recommended, at Master level the 3rd semester. The application deadline for the coming fall semester as well as for the following spring semester is January 15 (e.g., deadline 15 January 2024 for exchange in HS24/FS25). Each year, remaining spaces for the FS are advertised in July.

2.2 Where can I find further information?

Participation in the «OecMobility - Outgoing-Info-Event» and the «GSE - Global Experience Talk» is recommended. On the website of the Faculty, you can find all the information about the outgoing mobility. On this website you can find information about the agreements, application, Transcript of Records, Learning Agreement (LA) etc.

2.3 Where can I find information about the partner universities?

An overview of all partner universities can be found on the map of the Faculty of Business, Economics and Informatics. More detailed information on all exchange opportunities is provided in the search portal on the GSE (Global Student Experience) website.

2.4 How do I proceed if I want to organize the exchange stay by myself?

You can find all the information on the GSE (Global Student Experience) website.

2.5 Will I receive financial support (scholarship) for the stay?

Students who go on an exchange under the SEMP agreement will usually automatically receive a grant to cover travel and accommodation costs. This grant is paid in two parts (80% at the beginning of the exchange, 20% after the submission of the testimonial).

Students planning an exchange via university-wide (GU), or faculty-wide agreement can find all the latest information on financial aid opportunities on the GSE (Global Student Experience) website.

3 Questions about applying for an exchange semester

3.1 When can I apply?

The application tool Mobility Online (MobOn) is open from 1 November to 15 January. In the summer, there is a subsequent nomination phase for the remaining open spaces with an application deadline in July.

3.2 What do I need to check or prepare before applying?

  • Study planning (which courses do you want to complete abroad)
  • Prioritization of host countries/host universities
  • Financing
  • Checking if language certificates are necessary on the website of the partner university
  • Gathering the necessary documents for the application

3.3 Where do I have to apply?

All applications must be submitted, or documents uploaded electronically via the Mobility Online application tool (MobOn). The application tool will be open from 1 November. As soon as an application has been submitted and all documents have been uploaded, the review and evaluation by the OecMobility team can begin. Exchange places will not be allocated until after the application deadline (15 January).

3.4 I would like to apply for an exchange through both SEMP and/or a faculty-wide agreement and/or a university-wide agreement. How do I proceed?

In Mobility Online (MobOn), there is a registration window in which you can choose three desired universities regardless of the type of agreement. The general application procedure in MobOn does not differ. However, there are differences regarding application documents (see points 3.5 and 3.6).

3.5 Which application documents do I have to submit?

3.6 I would like to apply for several partner universities. Do I have to submit a letter of motivation for each partner university?

Yes, please write a letter of motivation for each partner university you have chosen as a priority. You can address the letter of motivation for university-wide agreements to the GSE (Global Student Experience), the SEMP and faculty-wide agreements to the OecMobility team of the Faculty of Economics. As there is only one upload slot for the motivation letter in Mobility Online (MobOn), the letters of motivation should be uploaded together in one PDF.

3.7 Do I have to submit a language certificate?

You can find all information here.

3.8 The partner university does not necessarily require a language certificate but will also accept a confirmation from the mobility office of the Faculty of Business, Economics and Informatics. Where can I obtain such a confirmation?

The OecMobility team confirms language proficiency if students can present a language certificate. You can obtain this from the Language Centre for the courses you have taken. If you are enrolled in a study program in English, the OecMobility team will provide you with a corresponding confirmation (

3.9 I need to submit a study plan with my application. Is there a template available?

On the GSE (Global Student Experience) website there is a template for a provisional study plan (downloads). A study plan must be prepared for each partner university (with a university-wide agreement). However, applicants can also create their own study plan. When creating a study plan, it is important that applicants have familiarized themselves with the study programs offered by the partner university (if possible) and with the credit transfer possibilities. In Mobility Online (MobOn) there is only one field to upload the study plan, therefore study plans should be uploaded in one PDF.

3.10 What happens after I have submitted my application?

  1. Review of the dossier (by UZH)
  2. Offer of an exchange place by e-mail (accept within 1 week)
  3. Nomination for a university (by UZH)
  4. Registration at the university for which you have been nominated (by the student)
  5. Completion of the credit transfer agreement (by the student)
  6. Completion of the Learning Agreement (by students - only for SEMP)
  7. Start of the exchange semester

3.11 How does the nomination at the partner university work?

Nominations are made from March to around the end of June by the OecMobility team and the GSE (Global Student Experience). The nomination deadlines of the partner universities are very different. In some cases, nominations can only be made at the end of summer for the spring semester. Once nominated, students will receive a confirmation email.

3.12 Do I have a better chance of getting an exchange place if I apply for several partner universities?

Yes, absolutely. The allocation criteria for SEMP and faculty-wide agreements apply to all applications. If an allocation for the first priority is not possible, the application will be considered for an allocation for the second and third priority.

3.13 Do I have a better chance of getting an exchange place if I apply for both HS and FS?

No, since there are only a certain number of places available per academic year (not per semester), it does not matter which semester you apply for. So, you do not increase your chance to get a place if you choose FS or HS. It is not possible to fill out the application form twice.

3.14 I am not studying Business Administration, Economics or Informatics, but I can only find exchange programs for these study programs in the overview.

You can apply for all Business Administration and Economics exchange places.

3.15 Do I have to accept the application for the exchange semester once nominated?

In principle, yes. However, in rare cases (family situation, illness or similar) the mobility semester can be cancelled (cancellations to, and to the partner university). Please consider that, depending on the time of cancellation, the space cannot be filled again. This is unfortunate, because presumably other students would have liked to take up the offer for an exchange semester.

3.16 What are the selection criteria for allocation?

Applications are reviewed according to three evaluation criteria:

  • Current grade point average (x2)
  • Evaluation of CV (1-3 points)
  • Evaluation of letter of motivation (1-3 points)

3.17 How are places allocated?

Applicants with the highest rating are awarded the free places first. However, this rule is softened to further promote student mobility. As far as possible, all suitable applicants should be offered an exchange place. Whenever more applicants apply to a partner university than there are places available, by indicating the various priorities and thanks to clever distribution, it is usually possible to accommodate everyone. However, this means that the students with the best applications do not always receive a place at their preferred destination.

The following criteria are also considered when allocating places:

  • Study level (BA or MA)
  • Previous exchange (e.g., during BA studies)
  • Reservations due to requirements that still need to be fullfilled, assessment modules or outstanding Bachelor's degree

3.18 What are possible reasons for rejection?

The following applications will be rejected/cancelled:

  • Assessment level can not be completed by the time of the exchange semester
  • Additional requirements still need to be fullfilled
  • Low grade point average (below 4.2)
  • Many failed attempts/max. number of failed attempts already reached

Applicants who are eligible for an exchange but do not receive a free place due to their chosen desired destinations will not receive a direct rejection. After the allocation of places, they will be sent the list with the places still available for selection.

3.19 I applied for an exchange under a faculty-wide agreement and was rejected in the first round of applications. Can I apply again?

In principle, yes. However, if you have an average or low average grade, the chances of success are rather low. Some of our partner universities require a certain average grade or good academic performance. It is possible that an application was rejected due to the applicant's average grade, even though there were still places available. If the application was rejected despite a good average grade, it is recommended to improve the application (e.g., additional qualifications, internships, etc.).

4 Questions during the stay

4.1 I am completing my exchange in the last semester of my studies. Can the credit transfer be completed in time?

As a rule, yes. Under certain circumstances there could be delays, e.g., if the host university provides the grades late. Students who complete an exchange semester in their last semester should contact the OecMobility team of the Faculty of Business, Economics and Informatics ( to discuss deadlines for submitting a request for their credit transfer. It is generally recommended that students enrol for an additional semester after graduation. If graduation is achieved, de-registration may be requested. Tuition will be waived or refunded if already paid.

4.2 My Learning Agreement is signed, will the credits be counted?

The Learning Agreement basically serves to clarify which academic achievements completed abroad can be credited to your studies in Zurich and is a prerequisite for receiving the SEMP scholarship. However, the creditability of the achievements is only confirmed by means of the credit transfer agreement (also not by e-mail). The Learning Agreement is therefore not a binding confirmation of creditability. Please carefully check the information on the website regarding credit transfer.

4.3 Until when do I have to submit my Learning Agreement?

By the end of the second week of the exchange semester. If, in exceptional cases, your definitive Learning Agreement is not yet available, upload a provisional version to Mobility Online (MobOn) by the end of this deadline. The definitive version can be submitted later by email to the OecMobility team (

5 Credit transfer

5.1 Why do I need a Learning Agreement?

See point 4.2.

5.2 Why do I need a credit transfer agreement?

All mobility students of the Faculty of Business, Economics and Informatics must sign a credit transfer agreement before starting their exchange semester. In this agreement, the creditability of the individual modules is bindingly recorded for you. The exact procedure and the legal basis for filling out the credit transfer agreement can be found here.

5.3 What do I have to consider when booking modules/courses at the partner university?

Think about the areas in which you still need ECTS in your studies. You can find further important information here under the item «Clarification of eligibility for credit transfer». There you can also find a helpful overview of courses that have already been credited in the past.

5.4 No credit transfer to minor programs for major students from other faculties

According to the program regulations of the Faculty of Business, Economics and Informatics, section 8.5.1, all ECTS credits for the minor study program must be completed at the faculty. Credits gained at other institutions, including those from a mobility semester, are not transferable. Under certain circumstances, credit transfer to the major may be possible; please enquire at the dean's office of your major.


6 After the stay

6.1 What do I have to do after the exchange semester?

  • If not done automatically by the partner university, submit the Transcript of Records to
  • (SEMP) Certificate of Attendance
  • (SEMP) Write a testimonial (payment of the remaining scholarship amount after submission)

7 Further questions concerning your stay

7.1 How do I find accommodation on site?

Information can be found on the GSE (Global Student Experience) website.

7.2 What is the difference between the GSE (Global Student Experience) and the OecMobility team of the Faculty?

The responsibilities of the GSE and the OecMobility team can be found in the table below:

Global Student Experience (GSE)

OecMobility team

  • General information/advice (counter)
  • Very extensive website
  • Application for university-wide agreements (GU)
  • Application for SEMP Divers
  • Payment of SEMP and GU scholarships
  • Technical support of the Mobility Online (MobOn) Portal



  • Application for SEMP
  • Application for faculty- and department-wide agreements
  • Credit transfer
  • Signature Learning Agreement



7.3 Where can I read testimonials from previous exchange students?

You can find the testimonials in the Mobility search portal.

8 Questions about Mobility Online (MobOn)

8.1 What is Mobility Online?

Mobility Online (MobOn) is the application tool for exchange semesters. Students must register when using it for the first time and can log in at any time thereafter. All application documents must be uploaded to MobOn. The operation of the tool is largely self-explanatory (info buttons are available for individual steps).

8.2 I have registered in Mobility Online and received a confirmation email. When I log in again, I get the message "Multiple applications not possible".

Since the Mobility Online (MobOn) pages for initial registration and login for the application tool look the same, confusion is easy. Please note that after successful initial registration via the registration page, all students will receive a confirmation email with a link. Please use only this link to log in to MobOn.

8.3 I have received a place offer, but it is not correct. Should I refuse the place allocation?

No. If the place offer or place allocation contains an error (e.g., wrong semester) we ask students not to reject the offer but to contact the GSE (Global Student Experience) ( first. Once the place offer has been rejected, it is no longer possible to change the place offer for technical reasons.