Frequently Asked Questions

Below you will find the answers to questions we are frequently asked. We continually update this page to include questions we receive.


New structure of studies
Transition to the new regulations

Transfer to RVO16 when enrolling for the new semester
Assessment level and compulsory program
Module changes and crediting

New structure of studies

What are the key differences between the old regulations and the new ones?

One of the key differences is that studies have been divided into major study programs and minor study programs under the new regulations. This offers a number of advantages: Not only does the new program structure give you more flexibility when determining your areas of specialization, you can also have your specializations included separately on your Academic Record – making them more visible to future employers, for example.

For more information on the new regulations, visit "What's new?".

Which major and minor programs are being offered to students in a Bachelor’s- or Master’s degree program as of HS16? Which programs remain the same and which have been added?

The following figure gives you an overview of all the major and minor programs that are being offered under the new regulations at the Faculty of Business, Economics and Informatics.

Do I have to choose two different specializations or can I choose the same ones for my major and minor program?

Both options are possible: You can either choose two different specializations (e.g., Business Administration as a major program and Economics as a minor program) or focus on one specialization (e.g., Business Administration as both major and minor program).

I am studying Management and Economics – how can I best switch to the new regulations?

To Master’s students, Management and Economics will still be offered under the new regulations. However, some modules might change. Under the new regulations, no specific ME seminars will be offered. However, all seminars will be credited as ME seminars under the condition that they can be credited towards the core elective areas of ME (BLW 1-6 or ECON 2-3). For detailed information regarding the transition, please refer to "How am I Affected?".

At Bachelor’s level, the Management and Economics study program is being discontinued from HS16. It is possible, however, to complete studies in progress by the end of HS17. Management and Economics is a mixture of Business Administration and Economics; in the future, these two specializations can still be combined at Bachelor’s level as follows: From HS16 on a major and a minor program can be chosen and hence it will still be possible to combine Business Administration and Economics studies (either Business Administration as a major program and Economics as a minor program or vice versa). Another possibility is to choose Business Administration or Economics as a major program and General Business and Economics as a minor program.

Table: Major and minor program combinations that substitute ME at Bachelor's level

For students from other faculties pursuing a minor program at our Faculty, the Management and Economics specialization is also being discontinued from HS16. All modules for the minor degree in Management and Economics have to be completed up to the end of HS17. If this is not a realistic prospect we strongly advise to switch to another minor program as part of the online semester enrollment for HS16.

Transition to the new regulations

How do I know whether I need to complete my studies under the new regulations or the old ones?

The various scenarios we have outlined in "How am I affected?" explain the options you have in your specific case.

When do I need to request to switch to the new regulations?

If the scenario that applies to you in "How am I affected"? states that you are able to or must switch to the new regulations, we recommend that you act as soon as possible. If you have not yet requested to switch to the new regulations during semester enrollment for HS16, you should do so during semester enrollment for FS17 (taking place in November 2016). If you plan for a switch, you can take modules in accordance with the new regulations already in HS16.

What happens if the plans I have made up to the end of FS16 do not work out because I fail modules, for instance?

To avoid this happening as far as possible, we strongly recommend that you err on the side of caution when you are making plans and act promptly if you are switching to the new regulations. If you are in any doubt, at the end of FS16 you can reappraise of the stage you have reached.

I am studying Applied Informatics (I started before HS15) and am not sure if I will be able to complete my studies up to HS17. How should I proceed?

If you plan your studies in a way that allows you to earn 30 ECTS credits per semester (corresponding to the number of ECTS credits per semester required to complete studies within the standard period of study) and if only a few ECTS credits are missing by HS17 for graduation, an individual solution must be found. Please contact the Dean’s Office well in advance.

I had planned to finish my studies by the end of HS17 under the old regulations. This plan, however, did not work out and I must switch to the new regulations now. How do I do that?

Basically, the provisions as described on our website apply: Changes to Regulations. Please observe the guidelines published on the following website in particular: "What's in the Regulations?".

If it is not evident to you how the transition works in your individual case, you are required to submit a petition to the examination delegate including a suggestion for your transition.

Please observe the general standards that apply to filing a petition and submit a completed registration for graduation under the new regulations together with your petition for transition. In the registration form, you assign your modules to the areas which you want them to be credited toward. After your petition has been examined, you will receive a binding notification about how the coursework completed so far can be transferred.

BA OEC registration for graduation RVO16 (German only) (DOCX, 191 KB)

BSc INF registration for graduation RVO16 (German only) (DOCX, 180 KB)

BSc INW registration for graduation RVO16 (German only) (DOCX, 148 KB)

MA OEC registration for graduation RVO16 (DOCX, 250 KB)

MSc INF Anmeldung Studienabschluss RVO16 (DOCX, 212 KB)

Please note that you must choose a minor program under the new regulations. Depending on which major and minor program you combine, you can transfer your modules more or less easily. Make a clever choice.

Basically, the following principles apply:

  • An assessment level completed under the old regulations can be transferred as a whole.
  • Compulsory modules can usually be transferred as compulsory modules.
  • The areas to which a core elective module can be credited under the new regulations apply, even if you completed the module in a previous semester when you were still studying under the old regulations.

Transfer to RVO16 when enrolling for the new semester

How do I proceed with the semester enrollment when I have decided to change to the new regulations (RVO16) ?

Students in a major program at the Faculty of Business, Economics and Informatics

You have to change your degree program according to the following instructions:

  1. Navigate to the online semester enrollment and register
  2. Click the button "Semestereinschreibung ändern"
  3. Click the button "Studiengang ändern"
  4. Choose the new RVO16 degree program
  5. Choose the desired study program (= major) from RVO16
  6. Choose your minor program

The titles of the new degree programs are indicated with RVO16. Instructions how to change the degree programs can also be found on this website.

Students from PhF / ThF / MNF in a minor program at the Faculty of Business, Economics and  Informatics

Choose a minor program according to our new regulations (RVO16). Please consider the following points:

The  minor programs in line with the old regulations as well as those in line with the new regulations may be called identically. The minor programs in line with the old regulations can be identified by RO04 or RO06 in their title.

The curricula of the new study programs may have significantly changed even though the program is called the same.

Management and Economics will no longer be offered as a minor program and can only be completed in line with the old regulations up to and including HS17.

The minor study program I have chosen no longer appeals to me. Do I still have to complete it?

No. The major and minor study programs can be changed at any time during the semester enrollment provided you did not have additional requirements for admission. However, in the semester you intend to complete your studies it is compulsory to be enrolled for those study programs you want to obtain your degree. If you choose a minor program at a different faculty, please do also consider this faculty's rules and regulations.

Assessment level and compulsory program

Does it matter whether I have my completed assessment level credited under the old regulations or the new ones?

Yes. Completed assessment levels will be credited in full under both the old regulations and the new ones. However, it is important to bear in mind that assessment-level grades are counted toward the final degree under the new regulations, but not under the old ones.

I didn't know that I would have to switch to the new regulations and that my assessment-level grades would be counted toward my final degree grade. Isn't that unfair?

We have carried out a detailed analysis of assessment-level grades and degree grades from recent years and have determined that the grades are usually very similar. On average, differences between the assessment-level grade and the degree grade are in the low decimal range even despite the fact that the assessment-level grade had not been counted toward the degree grade previously. As such, this change will have no or very little impact on the degree grade for the vast majority of students.

Module changes and crediting

How can I still use the modules I have already taken?

Advice regarding crediting coursework that has already been completed can be found in the Guidelines: "Coursework Crediting and Transition" (different documents per degree program and level of study). 

Which modules are subject to change?

An overview of the modules offered and possible changes to certain modules can be found in the Guidelines: "Overview: Compulsory Modules during Transition Period" (available for Bachelor’s and Master’s levels). 

Bachelor: Is it possible not to take "Informatics for Economists II" and "Informatics for Economists III" now?

Generally speaking, it is. But you must be aware of the following circumstances: A final degree under the old regulations will then no longer be possible and there is a risk that your studies will take longer. The new module "Introduction to Scientific Methods" will take place for the first time in HS16 and, if necessary, cannot be repeated until HS17.

This is why we recommend completing all compulsory modules already now. When switching to the new regulations, additional ECTS credits from the compulsory area can be credited toward the core elective area.  

Master: Which modules can be credited toward the BF2-BF5 core elective areas?

All modules from the BF core elective area that have been completed up to the end of FS16 can be credited to all new BF2-BF5 core elective areas. As of HS16, please refer to the course catalogue for identifying the modules allocated to the BF2-BF5 core elective areas. 

I want to pursue one of the minor programs at Master’s level offered by the Department of Banking and Finance. But the compulsory modules are subject to change. Can I already take them now?

The compulsory modules for a minor program at Master’s level offered by the Department of Banking and Finance will change as from HS16. This means they will be offered from HS16 and can only be selected from that point in time.


How do I have a mobility semester credited under the new regulations?

Mobility semesters will be credited in the same way as before, i.e., using the credit-transfer agreement. For details, refer to Crediting Coursework from a Mobility Semester.

Bachelor's thesis: The period for completion of the Bachelor's thesis was 4 months under the old regulations and 6 months under the new ones. Which time specification applies to me?

Students who start working on their Bachelor's thesis in HS16 (1 August 2016) or later must complete it within a period of six months and for a scope of 18 ECTS credits (the reference date is the date of receipt of the project definition from the Dean's Office). This is independent of whether you will complete your degree under the old regulations or the new ones.