You are planning to spend one or two semesters abroad and would like to clarify which of the credits you earn during this can be transferred to your studies.
Table of contents
Credit-transfer agreement and learning agreement
All mobility students at the Faculty of Business, Economics and Informatics must conclude a credit-transfer agreement before starting their mobility semester. This is a binding agreement that specifies whether the credits from the individual modules are eligible for transfer.
For more detailed information on filling out the credit-transfer agreement, see below ("Clarification of eligibility for credit transfer"). You will find the forms you need for this in the Downloads area. This procedure applies to all agreements of the Faculty and the University, to independently organized mobility, and to the CH-Unimobil program (mobility within Switzerland).
SEMP (formerly ERASMUS) exchange students must also conclude a learning agreement. The learning agreement is an important factor in obtaining grants, but it does not have any bearing on the eligibility of transferring credits to your studies at our Faculty.
Regarding transferring credits from a mobility semester, please first read the information in the regulations (framework ordinance and program regulations):
- Prior review is necessary to have credits from modules appropriate to the level of studies transferred to the core elective and minor areas, and to the INF and OEC elective areas. Without a review of this kind, it is only possible to transfer credits to the free elective area.
- Any failed mobility semester modules whose credits have been determined in the credit-transfer agreement as eligible for transfer to a core elective or minor area, or to the INF or OEC elective areas, count towards the number of permitted failed attempts.
- Failed attempts at modules in the free elective area do not count, but appear on the transcript of records.
- 2/3 of ECTS credits must be earned at UZH in order to obtain a degree from the Faculty.
- Compulsory modules must be completed at the Faculty.
- Transferring external seminars toward a core elective area is possible upon prior review and approval by means of the credit-transfer agreement.
The review can take up to four weeks.
Clarification of eligibility for credit transfer
Clarification is handled in a formalized manner before the start of a mobility semester, through submission of a written credit-transfer agreement that must be signed by both the responsible examination delegate and the student (see Downloads).
- Think about the areas of your studies in which you still need to earn credits.
- Consult the course catalogue of your host university to find out which courses are on offer and suit your needs.
- Where possible, clarify whether you can be admitted to these courses.
- The Downloads area on the right contains an overview of courses at other universities for which credit transfers have been permitted in previous years.
Filling out the credit-transfer agreement
- Please submit the credit-transfer agreement via e-mail in a timely manner before the start of the mobility semester (see the contact details at the top right).
- You may still be affected by certain changes at your host university. You can use the supplementary agreement (see the Downloads area) to clarify these.
- Additions or changes may be made up to four weeks following the start of courses at the host university.
Applying to transfer credits after your return
You will need to submit the official transcript of records from your host university to the Dean's Office.
If the official transcript of records from the host university has already been sent directly to the Dean's Office, this will automatically launch the credit transfer process. You will receive the original copy of the transcript of records together with the notification of credit transfer.
You will then receive the definitive notification of credit transfer in writing from the examination delegate.
All coursework that is listed on the official transcript of records from the host university and that is eligible for credit transfer will actually be transferred and listed in the notification of credit transfer.
Please note, if you will not complete the mobility semester until shortly before you are due to obtain your degree, it is important to remember that the official transcript of records from the host university must have been submitted no later than the registration for graduation deadline.