The Onboarding Program gives you an overview of our Faculty’s organization, introduces you to available services, and helps you build a network with relevant stakeholders within our Faculty. The Program includes a set of meetings, which will provide valuable support also during later phases of your employment.
Onboarding at faculty level
Meet the Dean and learn about:
- The Faculty’s vision and mission, and your role within this framework
Meet the Managing Director of the Dean’s Office and the Assistant to the Dean and learn about:
- The Faculty’s organization and regular Faculty meetings
- University and Faculty committees
- Essential University and Faculty policies, and where to find them
- Services offered by the Dean’s Office:
|.....||a)||Student affairs (responsibilities, processes)|
|b)||Faculty business (financial resources, professorship planning, professorial appointments)|
|c)||Quality assurance and accreditation|
|d)||Other services (communications and events, facts and figures)|
Onboarding at department level
Meet the Department Director/Mentor and learn about:
- The Department’s vision, mission, and your role within this framework
- Teaching duties and responsibilities
- Research and service expectations (i.e., departmental work)
- Requirements for promotion and extension of contract (especially if you are an AP, APTT, or a PAP); moreover, review the steps and schedule for mid-term and tenure review, if applicable.
- Budgeting, income and expenditure competences, and rules (e.g., assignment of resources, UZH Financial Manual (Finanzhandbuch), rules for investments, third-party funding, etc.) Die Vision und Mission des Institutes und welche Rolle Sie dabei einnehmen
Meet the Department’s Managing Director and learn about:
- The Department’s organization and regular meetings
- Department-specific processes for teaching and services
- Administrative processes (e.g., regulations on reimbursement of expenses)
Faculty level: Review meetings with the Dean
(for assistant professors only)
Once per academic year, the Dean meets all assistant professors individually. The meetings cover the following aspects:
- Review of accomplishments
- Preview of goals and key accountabilities
Department level: Review meetings with the Department Director/Mentor
Upon request, Faculty members meet the Department Director/Mentor.
- Review meetings with assistant professors comprise feedback on progress towards either mid-term or tenure review.
- Review meetings with experienced professors address strengths as well as areas that need attention. Moreover, suggestions for improvement and further development are discussed.